Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tattoosday Goes to Hawai'i: Dottie's Tribute to Daddy

On my last day in Hawai'i I had some time to kill before my flight. I wanted to stay close to the airport, so I headed over to Pearlridge Center to do some last minute shopping.

One of the first people I met was Dottie, a Kentuckian who had moved to Oahu.

She had this touching tattoo on her calf:


It is a memorial piece for her father, who was a constable back in Kentucky. Sadly, he was killed in the line of duty in 1984. The rose is part of the shield he wore and she incorporated it into the tattoo design.


Thanks to Dottie for sharing this emotional tattoo with us here on Tattoosday.

Update: Dottie has filled me in on some missing details.
 
The tattoo was inked at Big Daddy's Tattoos in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. She also wanted to clarify that the shield with the rose is the symbol for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund and encourages people, if interested in the memorial, to visit the website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment